- Put on REAL clothes. Yep! Seems a bit strange, because trust me… I’m the first person to take off my “outside” clothes when I get home only to go straight into my comfy jammies, but it does make a huge difference in how you feel each day. Skip the pajama pants until bedtime. Stop wearing the leggings and oversized sweatshirt you’ve worn for the past 3 days. Ladies, put on something a little nicer, do your hair, and put on makeup. Men, do a little facial grooming and put on some jeans! I promise you’ll feel better simply by feeling like your best self.
- Shower or take a long bath! Whether you had one or not already that day, take your time and just soak up the heat. Especially if you’re currently in a cold climate, your body will appreciate the warmth. The heat acts as a therapeutic aid and helps with body aches and pains. If you’re taking a bath, take it a step further and add soothing bathe salts! My favorite is this one that has spearmint and eucalyptus.
- Treat yo self! Do something for yourself that you don’t normally do. Buy yourself a new outfit online, read that book you’ve been meaning to read for forever, or catch up on all those movies your friends are talking about. Buy yourself a gift card to your favorite spa or restaurant so that when you CAN get out, you have something you’re already looking forward to. Do whatever you enjoy and brings you out of your funk. Step away from your phone and your computer for a few hours. You’ll feel so revived!
- Clean your house. When you’re in an environment day in and day out, you really need it to feel like a sanctuary…like a safe and clean space to be. Wipe down all surfaces, sweep the floor, do the dishes and laundry. If you’re like me, you hate a mess and it stresses you out just looking at it. If you don’t have the time to dedicate to the house in the way it needs ask for help from someone who lives with you…maybe it’s a roommate, spouse, or older children. Take turns doing certain chores or have something that you each do every day that helps keep your home clean. When there’s no mess, there’s no stress.. therefore there’s no distractions. And you can work better too! Best. feeling. ever.
- Take a break. This goes for any of the things I mentioned above, but if you’re super busy and strapped for time, you could simply step away from work for 10 minutes and go for walk (whether inside or outside – just please do stay within 6 feet of anyone else that may be out walking). Trust me, you can step away for 10 minutes to take a mental break. Nothing has to happen so quickly that you can’t take that much time for yourself. If you need more of a break, make yourself a coffee, sit in your comfiest chair, and just look out the window. Pick a place that brings you joy!
- Visit someone, virtually! Schedule a virtual coffee or wine date with a friend or family member. You can’t see people right now, but nothing says you can’t call or Facetime them. Interacting with people that mean a lot to us is such a healing and invigorating thing to do. Not only will your body thank you, but so will the people you reach out to. If you miss them, I can almost guarantee you they miss you too. Invest in your relationships and don’t forget about them. They’re probably struggling just as much as you during this time and could use a little pick me up. Let them know often just how much they mean to you.
- Exercise and hydrate. This is INCREDIBLY important, guys. We need to get off our couches and chairs, and move our bodies. Exercise is a wonderful way to break away from sitting at your desk for hours on end with your back likely hunched over, to reenergize, and to boost your metabolism. I always feel so much better after a workout. Something I have to constantly remind myself is to also hydrate. Your entire body will thank you – especially your skin.
Let me know what you thought of my tips below in the comments! I’d also love to hear how YOU are staying sane right now. Much love to you all! Hang in there #wereallinthistogether